After the TSP, I invest my money in Betterment and Vanguard. I track all of my investments with Personal Capital. I also wrote a short, 2 hour book summarizing this site. You can buy it here.
Microsoft offers an amazing military discount on their Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016. Normally, the package costs $399! However, through the Microsoft Home Use Program, active military servicemembers can get the entire Microsoft Office 2016 suite for just $9.95. That’s a 97% discount!
The suite comes with the entire Office collection, not just the basics. You get the full versions of Outlook, Publisher, Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote as well as OneDrive storage.
How To Get The Microsoft Office Military Discount
Here is the simple 6 step process to get Microsoft Office 2016 for less than $10:
- Click here to purchase Microsoft Office with the military discount. It will take you to a page that looks like this:
2. Enter your military email address. NOT your personal email! For example, @mail.mil, @us.af.mil, @usmc.mil, @navy.mil, @us.army.mil, or your deployed email address.
3. Try just using your email address without a program code. If that doesn’t work, then enter the Microsoft Office military discount program code below, based on your branch of service:
Air Force: Click the link that says “I do not know my program code.” You will receive an email with additional details to complete the registration.
Navy or Marines: 44C0707F11 or 18DCD3115E
For Non-NGEN USMC users: use program code 44C0707F11
For NGEN USMC users: use program code 44C0707F11 or 18DCD3115E
Some Navy users may need to use the code 67F2F2491D
4. Check your military email address for an email from Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP). Forward this email to your personal email address so you can do the rest from home.
5. Click the link inside the email that you forwarded to your personal email from your military email. This will bring you to the checkout page. Select the version of Microsoft Office you would like to purchase for $9.95 and checkout.
6. Download and install! The whole process shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes from start to finish, plus however long it takes to download and install.
Click here or the picture to start your process now.
Please let me know in the comments if the Microsoft Office military discount worked for you, what your branch is, and what code worked or if you didn’t use a code. If you found this useful, please share it with your military friends and family on Facebook and save them $390 on Microsoft Office!
2 Websites I Use to Achieve Financial Independence
The best way I know to achieve financial independence is to keep your investments simple, diversified, automatic, and low-cost. Costs eat into your returns like you wouldn't believe! A 1% difference in expense ratios can mean $100,000s lost to fees over a lifetime of investing.
Even if you're a DIY (do-it-yourself) investor like I am, you need to check out Betterment. You can read my full review here, but the bottom line is for only $250 per $100,000 invested (0.25% expense ratio) you get simple, diversified, and automated investing. In addition every account now gets free Tax Loss Harvesting+ features, which should increase returns for the average investor more than the minuscule management fee.
If you're not a DIY investor or are just getting started with investing, then you definitely need to check out Betterment. It's what I recommend to my family and friends who aren't strong investors or don't care to learn about asset allocations, diversification, or rebalancing.
I have investment accounts all over the place. To keep track of all of them in one place I use Personal Capital. It combines all of my accounts, shows me where I may be overpaying in fees, and provides beautiful charts showing my overall asset allocation and performance.
I use Personal Capital to track my Roth and Traditional TSP, Vanguard IRAs, banking accounts, SDP, and my Betterment taxable account, all in one place. It's free, secure and presents me with a one-stop dashboard so I can see all my money on one site.
Read my full review of Personal Capital and see how easy it can be to manage your investments in one place. Trust me, once you try it, you'll love it.
P.S. - If you have over $100,000 of assets and a 401k, you really need to run the Personal Capital 401k Fee Analyzer.