Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
Written by an active duty US Air Force officer, The Intelligent Military Investor (available on Amazon Kindle) is a high-impact, to-the-point manual that targets the financial issues facing cadets, midshipman, commissioned officers, enlisted personnel and all branches of the military.
Military servicemembers are highly-educated and extensively trained at making difficult split-second decisions and performing highly technical procedures. However, they receive little to no training in personal finance, investing, insurance, taxes, budgeting, and achieving financial independence.
This book fills in the gaps and will teach you to use your military income to escape from your debts, provide for your family, build wealth, and stop getting ripped off by unscrupulous financial professionals.
Straight talk and clear explanations allow the book to be easily digested by a novice to the subject matter yet the book also contains advanced concepts specific to military personnel you won’t find in other financial books.
You Can Earn Financial Independence While Serving
This book will teach you:
- If you should take out the USAA Career Starter Loan or similar “cadet loans”
- What to look in for your first car (the “lieutenant-mobile”)
- Whether you should buy, rent, or live on base
- Why the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is the best investment vehicle for financial independence
- How to automatically invest in simple, low-cost, and diversified investments that will grow your net worth rapidly
- Whether you should invest in Roth or Traditional TSP and IRA
- What kind of life, auto, and home insurance you should purchase
- How to calculate exactly how much you need for financial independence or early retirement
See why other servicemembers are rating the book five stars on Amazon!
Since 2008 I studied personal finance and investing by reading hundreds of blogs, books, and articles. I have invested over 4000 hours studying and writing on this blog, Military Money Manual. By using the principles and ideas that I learned over 8 years of studying personal finance and serving for 6 years in the Air Force, I have been able to:
- Pay off all of my student and auto loans, a $120,000 debt off my back
- Buy and sell a condo at a 15% profit in 3 years
- Increase my net worth from the negative six figures to the positive six figures in 4 years
- Earn thousands of dollars worth of free travel and hotel stays through credit card reward programs
Save yourself the time and effort. Buy my book and get the most important information you need to set yourself up for financial freedom in an hour.
A total plan to go from newly commissioned or enlisted to a wealthy investor, The Intelligent Military Investor will give you the knowledge to achieve financial independence. You can buy the Kindle version on Amazon.
AMEX Platinum With NO Annual Fees for US Military
Military servicemembers and spouses can get the American Express Platinum card with NO annual fees.
Learn how to apply for the AMEX Platinum Military.
The AMEX Platinum offers:
- $550 Annual Fee WAIVED for US Military (and spouses)!
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards Points with $5000 spend in 3 month
- $200 credit for Uber rides (or Uber Eats!) annually
- $200 airline fee credit
- Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- NO foreign transaction fees
These benefits make the AMEX Platinum my top recommend card.
If you already have an AMEX Platinum card, check out the other AMEX cards, Chase military credit cards, and this month's top recommended credit card bonuses, most with no annual fees for US military personnel.
Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.