Check out this month's top recommended cards WITH NO ANNUAL FEES for US military.
I recommend Personal Capital. It's my favorite free net worth tracking tool.
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Written by an active duty US Air Force officer, The Intelligent Military Investor (available as a DRM-free PDF or on Amazon Kindle) is a high-impact, to-the-point manual that targets the financial issues facing cadets, midshipman, commissioned officers, enlisted personnel and all branches of the military.
Military servicemembers are highly-educated and extensively trained at making difficult split-second decisions and performing highly technical procedures. However, they receive little to no training in personal finance, investing, insurance, taxes, budgeting, and achieving financial independence.
This book fills in the gaps and will teach you to use your military income to escape from your debts, provide for your family, build wealth, and stop getting ripped off by unscrupulous financial professionals.
Straight talk and clear explanations allow the book to be easily digested by a novice to the subject matter yet the book also contains advanced concepts specific to military personnel you won’t find in other financial books.
You Can Earn Financial Independence While Serving
This book will teach you:
- If you should take out the USAA Career Starter Loan or similar “cadet loans”
- What to look in for your first car (the “lieutenant-mobile”)
- Whether you should buy, rent, or live on base
- Why the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is the best investment vehicle for financial independence
- How to automatically invest in simple, low-cost, and diversified investments that will grow your net worth rapidly
- Whether you should invest in Roth or Traditional TSP and IRA
- What kind of life, auto, and home insurance you should purchase
- How to calculate exactly how much you need for financial independence or early retirement
See why other servicemembers are rating the book five stars on Amazon!
Since 2008 I studied personal finance and investing by reading hundreds of blogs, books, and articles. I have invested over 4000 hours studying and writing on this blog, Military Money Manual. By using the principles and ideas that I learned over 8 years of studying personal finance and serving for 6 years in the Air Force, I have been able to:
- Pay off all of my student and auto loans, a $120,000 debt off my back
- Buy and sell a condo at a 15% profit in 3 years
- Increase my net worth from the negative six figures to the positive six figures in 4 years
- Earn thousands of dollars worth of free travel and hotel stays through credit card reward programs
Save yourself the time and effort. Buy my book and get the most important information you need to set yourself up for financial freedom in an hour.
A total plan to go from newly commissioned or enlisted to a wealthy investor, The Intelligent Military Investor will give you the knowledge to achieve financial independence. You can buy the DRM-free PDF through the link before or the Kindle version on Amazon.
AMEX Platinum With NO Annual Fees for US Military
Military servicemembers and spouses can get the American Express Platinum (learn more here) with NO annual fees.
The AMEX Platinum offers:
- $550 Annual Fee WAIVED for US Military (and spouses)!
- 60,000 Membership Rewards Points welcome offer
- $200 credit for Uber rides (or Uber Eats!) annually
- $200 airline fee credit
- Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- NO foreign transaction fees
These benefits make it my top recommend card.