Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The Citi credit cards MLA program waives annual fees for military servicemembers. This is a similar policy to the American Express Platinum military benefits and Chase Sapphire Reserve military perks.
Citi credit cards with no annual fee for military include:
- Citi® Double Cash Card
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- Citi® Premier® Card – Citi Premier military review
- Citi® Prestige® Card
- Learn how to apply for the Citi® Premier® Card
- Earn 80,000 Citi ThankYou points after spending $4000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- 80,000 points are redeemable for $800 in gift cards at thankyou.com
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent at at restaurants and supermarkets
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on Gas Stations, Air Travel, and Hotels
- 1 point per $1 on everything else
- Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
- No foreign transaction fees
- $95 annual fee waived for military with Citi military policy
Citi MLA Explained
Here is how I got my annual fees waived on my Citi Premier card.
- Verify your Military Lending Act eligibility on the MLA database website
- Send a quick email to [email protected]
Here is an example of a Citi Military Lending Act request email:
I recently applied for and was accepted for a Citi Premier card. Could I please have Military Lending Act (MLA) protections applied to the account?
Please see my attached MLA certification as evidence of military service.
I attached my MLA certification from the MLA database in the hopes it would speed up the process. I received the following email in return automatically a few minutes later:
Your request has been received. It will be processed in the order it was received.
Thank you,Email received from [email protected]
Citi Military Response Unit
Some users note that your first statement should close with a balance LESS THAN the annual fee divided by .36 but greater than $0. This is to ensure that the annual fee is 36% of your usable credit and therefore it will trigger an MLA fee waiver. I have not had to do this.
For example, on the Citi Prestige with a $495 annual fee, you take 495 / .36 and get $1375. You need to make sure that your first statement closes greater than $0 but less than a balance of $1375. Then request the MLA fee waiver through the method above.
Citi Prestige Military Fee Waiver
The Citi Prestige is a excellent travel rewards credit card for military servicemembers and their spouses.
The Citi Prestige Travel Rewards Credit Card normally has a $495 annual fee. Military servicemembers and their spouses eligible for Military Lending Act (MLA) benefits can get the annual fee waived down to $0. See an example from a Ultimate Military Credit Cards Course below:
Benefits of the Citi Prestige card include:
- 50,000 bonus ThankYou points after spending $4000 with 3 months of account opening
- $495 annual fee waived for military
- $250 travel credit every calendar year
- 4th night free at hotels booked through ThankYou.com
- 5x points on all air travel and restaurants
- 3x points on hotels and cruise lines
- 1x points on everything else
- $100 Global Entry credit every 5 years
- No foreign transaction fees
The Citi Prestige card benefits easily compares to the better known AMEX Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve. You can compare the AMEX Platinum vs the CSR in this article. I recommend all military servicemembers and spouses pick up an AMEX Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and a Citi Prestige, along with all of my other recommended military credit cards.
Citi ThankYou Points Transfer Partners
You can transfer Citi ThankYou Points (TYP) to:
- Asia Miles
- Avianca Lifemiles
- Etihad Guest
- Eva Air
- Flying Blue (KLM and Air France)
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- Turkish Air Miles and Smiles
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Citi Premier MLA
Here's what my MLA fee waiver looked like when I opened a Citi Premier card:
As you can see, the annual fee was charged and then credited back to the account once MLA benefits were applied to the account.
Citi Credit Cards MLA FAQ
Less than 2 weeks. In my experience, I sent my Citi MLA request via email on June 14th. On June 25, the MLA fee credit was posted to my Citi credit card online activity.
[email protected] is the best way to contact the Citi Military Response Unit for MLA benefits.
Yes! Citi Prestige waives the $495 annual fee for US military servicemembers and spouses. Citi does this to comply with their Military Lending Act (MLA) program.
Amex Platinum Card With NO Annual Fees for Military
Military servicemembers and spouses can get The Platinum Card® from American Express with NO annual fees. This ultra premium luxury travel card normally has a $695 annual fee.
Learn how to apply for the Amex Platinum military fee waiver.
The Amex Platinum offers:
- $695 Annual Fee WAIVED for US Military (and spouses)!
- Earn 100,000 Membership Reward Points with $6000 spend in 6 month
- Earn up to $200 annual Hotel Credit: Get $200 statement credit on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or the Hotel Collection, which requires a two-night minimum stay, booked on Amex Travel and paid for with your Platinum Card
- Earn up to $200 credit for Uber rides (or Uber Eats!) annually
- Earn up to $200 airline fee credit
- Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- Earn up to $100 annual Saks Fifth Avenue credit, can be used for gift cards, enrollment required
- No foreign transaction fees, terms apply
- Earn 5x points on airfare booked directly with airline or on amextravel.com up to $500,000 per calendar year
- Transfer to 22 travel partners
These benefits, especially up to $600 of credits for hotels, airlines, and Uber, plus the massive 100,000 point welcome bonus, make the Amex Platinum card my TOP recommended card.
This is the largest welcome bonus on this card I've seen in years.
You have a leisurely 6 months to meet the $6000 minimum spend to earn the 100,000 points. That's only $1000 per month.
If you already have an Amex Platinum card, check out the American Express® Gold Card, fee waived Chase military credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and this month's top recommended credit card bonuses, all with no annual fees for US military personnel and their spouses.
Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.