Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® waives the annual fees for military servicemembers and spouses in accordance with Citi's Military Lending Act (MLA) policy. This is one of the best American Airlines credit cards available for military families.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations and restaurants, and on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1 Loyalty Point for every 1 eligible AAdvantage® mile earned from purchases
- Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your card membership year and renew your card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- Annual fee $99, waived for first 12 months for everyone, and ongoing for US military spouses and servicemembers
If you fly American Airlines or want to build up a stash of American Airlines AAVantage miles, this could be a good card for you.
In this post:
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card Benefits
AA Miles Welcome Bonus
Credit cards are a great way to build up your American Airlines miles.
$125 AA Flight Discount
After you spend $20,000 on the card during your card membership, you can earn a $125 flight discount after you renew your card.
Earn 2 AAdvantage Miles for Every $1 Spent
You can earn 2 American Airlines miles, also known as AAdvantage Miles, for every $1 you spent at gas stations, restaurants, and eligible American Airlines purchases.
If you spend $500 per month on gas and restaurants, you could earn 12,000 AA miles per year just from those purchases.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
No foreign transaction fees – this is essential if you are stationed overseas or go on TDY overseas. Paying foreign transaction fees is a waste of money when there are so many premium travel rewards cards that charge no foreign transaction fees.
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select vs Chase Sapphire Reserve®
If you are interested in another travel rewards credit card that waives annual fees for covered borrowers of the Military Lending Act, which includes active duty servicemembers, Guard and Reserve on 30+ day active orders, and military spouses, check out the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® has a $300 annual travel credit that is super easy to use on eligible travel purchases, no annual fee for covered borrowers of the MLA, and earns valuable Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- $550 annual fee waived to $0 for US military + spouses with Chase MLA policy
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards portal
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year.
- Earn 5x total points on flights and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually.
- 3x Points on other Travel (airfare, hotels) after earning the $300 travel credit
- 3x Dining restaurants, takeouts, delivery
- Chase Ultimate Reward Points redeemed through the Chase travel portal are worth 1.5 cents, a 50% bonus.
- Priority Pass lounge and restaurant access with over 1300+ airport lounges worldwide
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry every 4 years
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Primary coverage with Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
- No foreign transaction fees
- Learn more in the Chase Sapphire Reserve review
Citi American Airlines Cards FAQ
Most Citi cards, including the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card, require a credit score of 660 or higher. Usually you will have the best chance of approval if your credit score is above 700.
If you often fly
The Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select is a Mastercard in 2022.
Benefits of the card include no foreign transaction fees, earning 2 points per $1 spent on American Airlines purchases, gas, and restaurants, and your first bag is checked free.