These are my top recommended credit cards for this month. Some have $450-550 annual fees waived exclusively for US military personnel.
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Last update 17 Feb 2017
I will use this page to collect ideas, resources, and links to all things Blended Retirement System related. I will keep it continuously updated as new information comes out, so come back often. There is a lot of misinformation and lack of knowledge out there about the new plan coming in 2018.
All of the links I provide have been vetted and confirmed by me to contain accurate information, but things are changing rapidly as the BRS implementation date of 1 Jan 2018 approaches. Stay informed and make your choice early in 2018 so you can get a full year of matching, if you decide to switch!
Information About The New 2018 Military Retirement
- March 3, 2017 Updates to the BRS Rollout
- The DOD Official Blended Retirement Page
- Summary of the New BRS
- USAA's summary of the BRS is at USAA.com/BRS. A clear summary of the changes coming and it now (as of 17 Feb 2017) includes a basic online calculator. See my example below:
- JKO Joint Knowledge Online BRS Opt In Training (no CAC required)
Should I Opt Into the BRS?
- Military Wallet Experts Opinion on the New Military Retirement
- Why I Am Opting Into the Blended Retirement System (And I Think You Should Too) Why? Because 80% chance you won't make 20 years.
- The Military Guide Discusses “Should You Switch to the BRS?” Answer: depends on if you stay for 20 years.
- The Military Guide discusses that there is a huge flaw in the way lump sum payments are calculated in the BRS at retirement. Don't take lump sum payments!
If you find any other good resources please email me, use the contact page, or leave a comment below. Thanks!
AMEX Platinum With NO Annual Fees for US Military
Military servicemembers and spouses can get the American Express Platinum with NO annual fees. Pick up your military annual fee waived card here!
The AMEX Platinum offers:
- $550 Annual Fee WAIVED for US Military (and spouses)!
- 60,000 Membership Rewards Points welcome offer
- $200 credit for Uber rides (or Uber Eats!) annually
- $200 airline fee credit
- Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- NO foreign transaction fees
These benefits make it my top recommend card.
If you already have an AMEX Platinum card, check out the other AMEX cards, Chase credit cards, and this month's top recommended credit card bonuses, most with no annual fees for US military personnel.