These are my top recommended credit cards for this month. Some have $450-550 annual fees waived exclusively for US military personnel.
The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone.
Short answer: $0.
Long answer: Depends on where you live. Getting married is a huge commitment and not something you want to do merely for the financial benefits. The military divorce rate has been historically higher than the civilian divorce rate, so make sure you're getting into it for the right reasons. So with that disclaimer, note the following:
- Your basic pay is not affected by whether your married or have kids
- The only pay you receive that is affected by marriage or having kids (both classified as dependents by the DoD) is your Basic Allowance for Housing, or BAH
If he's not married, he receives $960 per month in BAH (tax free too, another benefit of military service). However, if he has any dependents (either a kid or he's married) then he receives $1281 per month. And that's it. A $321 difference in pay between married and unmarried military members. Now, there are also tax benefits as well, but we'll ignore those for now.
AMEX Platinum With NO Annual Fees for US Military
Military servicemembers and spouses can get the American Express Platinum with NO annual fees. Pick up your military annual fee waived card here!
The AMEX Platinum offers:
- $550 Annual Fee WAIVED for US Military (and spouses)!
- 60,000 Membership Rewards Points welcome offer
- $200 credit for Uber rides (or Uber Eats!) annually
- $200 airline fee credit
- Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- NO foreign transaction fees
These benefits make it my top recommend card.
If you already have an AMEX Platinum card, check out the other AMEX cards, Chase credit cards, and this month's top recommended credit card bonuses, most with no annual fees for US military personnel.