Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The best business credit cards for veteran owned small businesses and military servicemembers offer hundreds of dollars of welcome bonuses, annual perks, cash back, and travel reward points for your business spending.
Business credit cards are available to anyone with income outside of your normal paycheck.
You do not need an LLC to open a business credit card, Employer Identification Number (EIN), or any kind of corporate structure. When you apply for a business card, simply select “sole proprietor” as your business type and use your personal Social Security number.
Military servicemembers and veterans can qualify for the top business credit cards. These cards can put cash or points back into your pocket for all of your normal business expenses. You can always earn at least 1.5% cash back on purchases and up to 5% cash back on select categories.
Business Credit Cards for Military Members
If you are active duty, you may have a side hustle or do freelance work to supplement your active duty income. For example, you may drive for Uber, write a blog like me, or own rental property. This qualifies as a business and you should easily qualify for some of these great cards.
Guard and Reserve military members usually have a civilian job as well as their military job. If you give flight lessons, own a computer services business, or earn any kind of freelance MISC-1099 income, you can qualify for these cards.
If you own a service-disabled veteran-owned small business, you know that you can access some of the best government contracts ahead of the competition. While you are winning these contracts, why not get rewarded with cash or travel points for your normal business spending?
American Express® Blue Business Cash™ Card
- Learn how to apply for the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you make $3,000 in purchases on your Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
- From workflow to inventory to floor plans, your business is constantly changing. That's why you've got the power to spend beyond your credit limit with Expanded Buying Power.
- Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us and other factors.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
2% cash back on all purchases up to $50,000 per year and no annual fee make the AMEX Blue Business Cash card a winner for military and veteran small business owners.
Chase Ink Business Preferred
- Learn how to apply for Chase Ink Business Preferred
- 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3X points on travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, and online advertising purchases (up to $150,000 of purchases per year)
- Cell Phone Protection: Up to $600 coverage against theft or damage when you pay your monthly cell phone bill with your CIP
- NO Foreign Transaction fees
Thanks to no foreign transaction fees, this is THE business credit card to use if you travel OCONUS or operate overseas frequently. The welcome bonus offer is HUGE as well. 100,000 points is worth at minimum $1000 if you cash it out, which is 10 years of annual fees on this card.
Or, you could redeem the 100,000 UR points for $1250 worth of travel.
You can also earn 3 points per dollar spent on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services as well as online advertising like Google Adwords or Facebook Ads.
Another great feature of this card is the cell phone protection coverage. If you pay your monthly cell phone bill with your Chase Ink Preferred, it automatically insures your cell phone up to $600 per claim for loss due to theft or damage. You only need to pay a $100 deductible. This is a great deal and much cheaper than the cell phone insurance plans offered by major carriers.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Learn how to apply for the The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- 120,000 POINT WELCOME OFFER after $15,000 spend in the first 3 months of card membership
- 5x Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels through amextravel.com
- Earn 1.5x points per dollar on eligible purchases over $5000, up to 1 million per year
- Earn 1.5X points on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year
- 35% bonus on airline purchases with MR points: Use “Pay with Points” for a flight and get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 per year
- Earn up to $1,000 in annual statement credits on a curation of business purchases, including select purchases made with Dell Technologies, Indeed, Adobe, and U.S. wireless service providers.
- Up to $400 in Dell statement credits, enrollment required
- $200 airline fee credit per calendar year at one qualifying airline on incidental charges
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee (Terms apply, see rates and fees)
Chase Ink Business Unlimited
Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- BEST EVER OFFER: $900 bonus cash (90,000 Ultimate Rewards Points) after you spend $6,000 in 3 months
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information.
- NO ANNUAL FEE
This is your backstop business card. If your purchase isn't in one of the 3X categories of the Ink Business Preferred or the 5% cash back categories of the Ink Business Cash, this card will give you 1.5% cash back on EVERY purchase.
This ensures you are always earning at least 1.5% on every purchase. Additionally, this card has a great welcome bonus offer of 75,000 points (which can be cashed in for $750) and no annual fee. A great card to keep in your wallet for business purchases.
Chase Ink Business Cash
- Learn how to apply for the Chase Ink Business Cash card
- $750 bonus cash (75,000 UR Points) after you spend $7500 in 3 months
- 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services
- 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent at gas stations and restaurants
- 1% cash back on everything else
- NO annual fee
The Ink Business Cash card finishes out the trinity of Chase business cards for veterans and military servicemembers. It's got a great 5% cash back on office supply stores, internet, and cable/phone services. Nearly every business has these expenses, so why not get 5% cash back on them?
You can also get 2% cash back on gas stations and restaurant purchases. This is perfect for entertaining clients, hosting parties for your employees, or filling up the gas tank.
Maximize Your Ultimate Rewards Welcome Offer
All of these business cards have great Chase Ultimate Rewards welcome offers. Ultimate Rewards is one of the two most flexible rewards programs available. You can combine your points across your personal and business accounts to maximize your rewards potential.
Transferring these bonus points to your Chase Sapphire Reserve card is easy. You can then redeem the points for 50% more value on travel. Or, you can transfer your points to many excellent travel partners like Singapore Airlines.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- Earn 60,000 Chase Ultimate after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months of card membership
- 60,000 points = $750 minimum value when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards® travel portal
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit
- 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards portal
- 3x points on dining (includes takeout, delivery, and dine-in)
- 2x points on all other travel purchases
- Points can also be redeemed with “Pay Yourself Back” for 1.25 cents each on eligible purchases in select, rotating categories
- No foreign transaction fees, great for overseas OCONUS assignments, TDY, and PCS
- Primary rental car insurance coverage & trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
- Upgrade to a Chase Sapphire Reserve after 1 year (compare Reserve vs Preferred)
- $95 annual fee waived for military and spouses with Chase Military Lending Act
I recently booked a round-trip ticket from Dubai to Auckland and Melbourne on Singapore Airlines for 312,000 points. With these 3 cards, you would be over halfway to a similar redemption after meeting the minimum spending bonus.
You can also always cash out your points for cash at 100 points = $1.00. If you just want to put some cash back in your pocket, this is a good choice. However, transferring to travel partners and booking flights and hotels gives you greater value per point.