Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the cards that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. This site does not include all card companies or all available card offers. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ Credit Card is shaking up the cash back credit card industry. There are now two cards in the Chase Freedom family: the Chase Freedom Flex and the Chase Freedom Unlimited. Both are excellent cash back credit cards.
Chase Freedom Flex℠ Credit Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- Earn $200 cash back (20,000 Ultimate Reward points) when you spend $500 in 3 months
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal
- 3% on dining at restaurants, takeout, and delivery
- 3% back on drugstore purchases
- 1% back on all other purchases
- 5% on up to $1500 of purchases in specific bonus categories each quarter
- No annual fee
- Compare the Chase Freedom Flex vs. Chase Freedom Unlimited
Compare the Chase Freedom Flex vs Freedom Unlimited head to head.
Military servicemembers and their civilian spouses should open Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card or Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card before opening the Chase Freedom cards. You can compare the Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Chase Sapphire Preferred to see which is right for you.
The annual fee on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred card is 100% waived for military servicemembers.
In this post:
Chase Freedom Flex Categories
- 5% on Bonus Quarterly Categories Cardmembers can activate each quarter to receive 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases on bonus categories such as grocery stores, select streaming services and many others.
- 5% on Travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, including vacation and car rentals.
- 3% on Dining purchases, including take out or eligible delivery services.
- 3% on Drugstore purchases on daily essentials like medicine, toiletries, diapers and other items.
- 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases.
Chase Freedom Flex Benefits
- Cell Phone Insurance – Up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year in cell phone protection against theft or damage for phones listed on cardmembers’ monthly bill.
- Lyft –$10 in credit for every five rides taken in a calendar month, automatically applied to the next ride and capped at once per month.
- Boxed – 5% cash rewards on Boxed purchases for use on future purchases.
- ShopRunner – Free membership to receive two-day shipping and free return shipping at over a hundred online retailers.
- Fandango –Double VIP+ points for movie tickets purchased via the Fandango app or Fandango.com, which can be used towards purchasing movie tickets on Fandango or towards streaming movies and TV shows on FandangoNOW.
The Chase Trifecta is combining the earning power of the Chase Freedom Flex, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and Chase Sapphire Reserve. With these 3 cards, you are always earning a minimum of 1.5% Ultimate Rewards points on all transactions. You can earn up to 3x, 5x, or even 10x points on specific categories.
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- $550 annual fee waived to $0 for US military + spouses with Chase MLA policy
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards portal
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year.
- Earn 5x total points on flights and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually.
- 3x Points on other Travel (airfare, hotels) after earning the $300 travel credit
- 3x Dining restaurants, takeouts, delivery
- Chase Ultimate Reward Points redeemed through the Chase travel portal are worth 1.5 cents, a 50% bonus.
- Priority Pass lounge and restaurant access with over 1300+ airport lounges worldwide
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry every 4 years
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Primary coverage with Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
- No foreign transaction fees
- Learn more in the Chase Sapphire Reserve review
You can combine the Chase Ultimate Rewards points you earn on your Chase Freedom Flex and Chase Freedom Unlimited on to your Chase Sapphire Reserve. Then, you can transfer the points to travel partners to earn the maximum redemption for your
Chase Freedom Flex FAQ
The Chase Freedom Unlimited earns 1.5% cash back on all transactions, while the Chase Freedom Flex earns 5% cash back on specific rotating categories and 1% cash back on everything else.
A credit score of 670 or higher should be good for the Chase Freedom Flex. The higher your credit score, the more likely you are to be approved.
The easiest way to get approved for a Chase Freedom Flex is have a credit score above 670 and a Chase bank account. You can still be approved without a Chase bank account. The Freedom Flex is one of the easier Chase cards to be approved for.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited is better for all spending and the Freedom Flex is better for spending in rotating categories. They are complementary cards, so why not apply for both?
The Chase Freedom Flex Bonus Categories change every 3 months (every quarter) of the year. You can find the latest categories on the Chase Freedom Flex calendar. Typical categories are gas stations, car rental agencies, movie theaters, grocery stores, Amazon.com, and select streaming services.
Chase Freedom Flex will send you an email every quarter to activate your 5% cash back categories. It's one simple click in the email to activate your categories. You have until the first 2 weeks of the last month to activate. You can activate as early as the month prior to the next quarter.