Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
Delta Airlines, unlike some competitors, does not have a widely advertised military discount on fares. On their website they mention offering “savings not available to civilian customers,” but you need to connect with their reservation line at 800-221-1212.
To date, I have never heard of any military servicemembers saving more than $50 on a Delta Airlines flight by using the reservation line to book a military discount flight. If you've had a different experience with the Delta military discount, I'd love to hear about it in the comments.
Military Travel Hacking
Instead of hunting for a small military discount on your Delta Airlines flights, I propose you explore the world of military travel hacking.
You can amass enough SkyMiles or points from credit card rewards like Chase Ultimate Rewards to book a free flight by choosing the appropriate travel rewards credit card.
If you are on active duty, a Guard or Reservist on orders for 30 days or longer, or a military spouse named in the Military Lending Act database, you can have your annual fees waived on all personal credit cards from leading companies like American Express, Citi, US Bank, and Chase.
Discover more about your credit card benefits as a “covered borrower” under the Military Lending Act in my Ultimate Military Credit Cards Course. More than 11,000 graduates have collectively saved over $5 million in premium luxury travel card annual fees.
This fee waiver extends to cards like the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card, which can help you gather enough Delta SkyMiles for a free or near-free flight.
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
Annual Fee: $550 per year* *see more details on American Express protections for you and spouse
Welcome Bonus: Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months.
- This is my top recommended Amex Delta card for military
- Enjoy Delta Sky Club® access at no cost and bring up to two guests or immediate family at a rate of $50 per person per visit. Effective 2/1/25, Reserve Card Members will receive 10 Visits per year to the Delta Sky Club; Starting on 2/1/25, spend a total of $75,000 or more on eligible purchases on the card between 1/1/24 and 12/31/24, and each calendar year thereafter to earn an unlimited number of visits each year.
- Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book a Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- With Status Boost®, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card through 12/31/23, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different from the miles you earn towards flights. Effective 1/1/24, this benefit will no longer be available, and there will be a new way to earn toward Medallion Status with the Card. Learn more at delta.com/skymilesprogramchanges.
- Eligible Card Members get 15% off when using miles to book Award Travel on Delta flights through delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Discount not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
- Receive a domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or domestic Main Cabin round trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Official Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees, terms apply
Who is Eligible for the Delta Airlines Military Discount?
The Delta Airlines military discount, although rarely actually available, is available to active-duty members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
What Does the Delta Military Discount Include?
Active duty military personnel on orders can get up to 5 free checked bags on Delta Airlines flights. Even when you're on leave, just present your CAC and leave orders, and you'll get the free checked bags.
Delta also accepts animals as checked baggage for active US military and active US State Department Foreign Service Officers FSO and their spouses on active PCS or transfer orders.
You must book your pet no later than 48 hours prior to departure and pay the checked pet fee. Accepted animals include cats, dogs, birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, and hamsters. Other animals are accepted but are shipped as cargo. Check the Delta military pet policy for more details.
For additional details on the Delta Airlines military discount, visit Delta.com.