Let me show you how to get your first $550 credit card annual fee waived in my Ultimate Military Credit Cards course
The Amex Gold card is annual fee waived for military. It's even better than the Amex Platinum for everyday spending on dining and groceries.
Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The new DoD Dine Smart program from Dinova allows you to earn points when you spend money at restaurants with your Government Travel Card (GTC). You can sign up for this program here. You can earn 499 points (worth $4.99) if you use my referral link here!
I have not used this program yet but I am interested anytime there are points to be earned.
You can earn 1 point per dollar spent and points can be cashed out for gift cards. Points can be cashed out for Amazon gift cards which is almost as good as cash. The DOD Dinova program is effectively 1% cash back on restaurant purchases.
Usually DoD travelers are better off using a card like the Amex Gold card for dining and groceries while TDY. You can earn 4x Amex Membership Reward points which can be cashed out at 1.25 cents each, so effectively you are earned 5% cash back.
- Learn how to apply for the American Express Gold Card
- $250 Annual Fee waived for US military and spouses (rates and fees)
- Earn 60,000 Membership Reward Amex points after spending $4000 in the first 6 months of account opening
- Rose Gold is back! Choose between the Gold or Rose Gold version when you apply.
- 4x points on all restaurants worldwide
- 4x points on US supermarkets (up to $25,000 per year) – includes OCONUS Commissarries
- 3x points on flights booked directly with the airline or on amextravel.com
- No foreign transaction fees – great for the 4x on restaurants worldwide when travelling for fun, OCONUS TDY, or PCS!
- $120 annual Uber or Uber Eats cash. Combines nicely with Amex Platinum Uber credit. Earned as $10 per month.
- $120 per year credit at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House or Shake Shack
- Read my full review of the Amex Gold card for military
How DoD Dinvova Dine Smart Works
- Sign up for a myDinova Rewards account here. Link your Government Travel Card (GTC) to your account.
- Use the Dinova website or app for find a participating restaurant. There are over 20,000 of them.
- Use your linked GTC to pay for your meal.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on the GTC at restaurants in the network.
- Cash out points for gift cards at places like Amazon, Target, or restaurants.
DTS Email on DoD Dine Smart Traveler Rewards
Here is the email I received on a recent TDY introducing the Dine Smart program:
Subject: DoD Dine Smart Traveler Rewards – Enroll Today!
According to the Defense Travel System, you have submitted an authorization for a recent or upcoming TDY trip. As you resume travel, consider enrolling in DoD Dine Smart Traveler Rewards, a new frequent dining program that allows DoD travelers to earn points towards gift cards every time you dine at participating restaurants and pay with your Government Travel Charge Card while on official travel.
The Defense Travel Management Office manages the DoD Dine Smart program, which operates through Dinova, a dining network with more than 20,000 participating restaurants throughout the United States.
Here is what you need to know:
— It takes just two minutes to enroll. Go here and follow the link on our website to enroll today through Dinova’s DoD Dine Smart webpage.
— Earn one point for every $1 you spend at in-network restaurants. Points are earned on the total purchase amount, including tax and tip! Your points can then be redeemed for gift cards from retailers (like Amazon and Target) and restaurants (like Outback and Jersey Mike’s).
— DoD policy requires you use your government travel charge card to pay for all official travel expenses, including meals.
— Easily locate participating restaurants through the DISA-approved smartphone app, myDinova, which is available through the DoD app store, Google Play, and Apple App Store. The app lets you filter restaurants by COVID safety protocol and map nearby restaurants.
Again, I have yet not used this GTC points program but I think it should be interesting. You can sign up here and earn 499 points to get your account started! Let us know in the comments how it goes!
The DoD Dine Smart Dinova program allows government travelers to earn rewards points when they use their Government Travel Card at participating locations.
You can earn 1 point per $1 spent. Points can be redeemed starting at 500 for Amazon gift cards. 100 points = $1 and 500 points is a $5 gift card.