Here is a list of 0% interest loans for Coasties during the government shutdown. Any other resouces you have found that actually put cash in your pocket quickly please share in the comments.
- GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN ASSISTANCE 0% APR Loan During Government Shutdown
- Up to $6000 available if you are a federal goverment employee or active duty servicemembers of the Coast Guard.
- There are no fees or interest charges associated with this loan
- No credit check is required
- For your loan to deposit on your reguarly scheduled payday, you must register for the program the day prior to your pay day (i.e., sign up on the 31st to see the loan deposited on the 1st)
- Navy Federal will continue to accept registration until three days after your scheduled pay day
American Express Personal Loan for Cardmembers
- Up to $40,000 available
- Interest rate reduced to 0% within a few business day of SCRA benefits applied to account
- First payment due a few weeks from now
If you have an AMEX card, you may be eligible for this loan. Under AMEX'sinterpration of SCRA, they will lower the interest rate to 0%.
Up to $40,000 available. I was pre-approved for $25,000. First payment is due one month after opening loan, buying you some time and space.
Coast Guard Mutual Assistance
- $1000 member with dependents
- $750 member w/out dependents
- $200 cadets
ALL CG Mil and Civ personnel eligible. Here's how to get assistance:
- Complete the CGMA-ARC form, which needs to be signed by your command.
- Access the American Red Cross site at: https://saf.redcross.org/css and create an account. For Assistance Call the Red Cross at +1-877-272-7337
- Once you create an account you can submit a request for assistance. You will need to upload the CGMA-ARC form as part of this process.
If you had a checking, savings, or CD account with USAA as of Jan 13, 2019 they are offering a government shutdown loan program. Call them at +1-210-531-8722 or toll free 800-531-8722. Or use the app to chat with them.
There are reports of a 0.25% USAA loan also being offered for Coast Guardians who are NOT USAA members before this pay day. Contact USAA and let us know in the comments if this is true if you have missed a paycheck.
The American Legion Temporary Financial Assistance up to $1500
- Select your state. Find the link for TFA or Temporary Financial Assistance.
- Fill out the TFA form (download the Coast Guard American Legion TFA form here) and call the state chapter of the Legion to see who to send it to. It might be listed under “Services” or “Programs.”
Here is a copy of the form which should be the same every state is using:
Assistance for US Coast Guard During the Government Shutdown 2019
Many banks are deferring credit card and loan payments during this time. Contact them and explain your situation.
There are reports of Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile of allowing affected Coasties to delay this month's cellphone payment for one month.
Why is this happening?
As background, US Coast Guard members have missed a paycheck on 15 January 2019. This is a direct result of the longest government shutdown in US history.
Call your Congressmen and Senators and inform them of the issues you are facing because you missed a paycheck. This cannot be allowed to continue for another paycheck.
Good luck to all of you and seriously…thank you for your service during this stupid, bullshit, trying time. When you serve our country, at a minimum you should be paid. If America can't do that, then all of the “support our troops” messaging for the past 20 years has been in vain.
Here's a meme for you:
“Government shutdown? I’ll just dip into my emergency fund…”