Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The U.S. Bank credit card military policy waives annual fees for US servicemembers and spouses. This is done to comply with the Military Lending Act or MLA.
Before applying for a new card, I recommend confirming your MLA status in the MLA database. It should report that you are a “eligible” if you are active duty or married to an active duty servicemember.
If you are eligible for MLA benefits, then U.S. Bank should automatically waive your annual fees.
This is true whether you are active duty, guard, Reserve, or a military spouse. For guard and Reserve you usually need to be on 30+ day active duty orders.
US Bank Credit Cards Military
In most cases, you will receive an MLA benefits letter in the mail before you even receive the card.
In some cases, the annual fee will post to your card account and then be credited back a few days later. This may be done with all Military Lending Act or Servicemember Civil Relief Act (SCRA) related benefits for accounting purposes.
Some cards that qualify for the U.S. Bank military fee waivers are:
- U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank Altitude® Reserve Visa Infinite® Card
- U.S. Bank Cash+® Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank Triple Cash Rewards Visa® Business Card
- U.S. Bank Flexperks® Gold American Express® Card
U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- Intro Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus points when you spend $2,000 in eligible purchases within the first 120 days of account opening. That's a $500 value redeemable towards travel, gift cards, cash back, merchandise and more.
- 5X points on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked directly in the Altitude Rewards Center.
- 4X points on travel, gas stations, and EV charging stations.
- 2X points on streaming services. Plus, a $30 credit for annual streaming purchases like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify®, Apple Music, Disney+, HBO Max and more!
- 2X points at grocery stores, grocery delivery, and dining.
- Receive up to $100 in statement credits for reimbursement toward your TSA PreCheck® or Global Entry® application fee once every four years.
- 1X point on all other eligible purchases.
- Points never expire.
- Pay over time by splitting eligible purchases of $100+ into equal monthly payments with U.S. Bank ExtendPay™ Plan.
- Terms and conditions apply.
Amex Platinum Card With NO Annual Fees for Military
Military servicemembers and spouses can get The Platinum Card® from American Express with NO annual fees. This ultra premium luxury travel card normally has a $695 annual fee.
Learn how to apply for the Amex Platinum military fee waiver.
The Amex Platinum offers:
- $695 Annual Fee WAIVED for US Military (and spouses)!
- Earn 100,000 Membership Reward Points with $6000 spend in 6 month
- Earn up to $200 annual Hotel Credit: Get $200 statement credit on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or the Hotel Collection, which requires a two-night minimum stay, booked on Amex Travel and paid for with your Platinum Card
- Earn up to $200 credit for Uber rides (or Uber Eats!) annually
- Earn up to $200 airline fee credit
- Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- Earn up to $100 annual Saks Fifth Avenue credit, can be used for gift cards, enrollment required
- No foreign transaction fees, terms apply
- Earn 5x points on airfare booked directly with airline or on amextravel.com up to $500,000 per calendar year
- Transfer to 22 travel partners
These benefits, especially up to $600 of credits for hotels, airlines, and Uber, plus the massive 100,000 point welcome bonus, make the Amex Platinum card my TOP recommended card.
This is the largest welcome bonus on this card I've seen in years.
You have a leisurely 6 months to meet the $6000 minimum spend to earn the 100,000 points. That's only $1000 per month.
If you already have an Amex Platinum card, check out the American Express® Gold Card, fee waived Chase military credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and this month's top recommended credit card bonuses, all with no annual fees for US military personnel and their spouses.
Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.