Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
DECA Commissaries are grocery stores on military bases. Sometimes though, the credit card company mis-categorizes these stores.
Some CONUS and OCONUS Commissaries code as US supermarkets and are eligible for 4x points on US supermarkets on American Express® Gold Card (review) and 6% cash back on Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express (Amex Blue Cash Preferred review).
Some Commissaries code as “Groceries” for Chase cards. There are also temporary Amex COVID benefits on many Amex cards, terms apply.
I am collecting data points on this page to serve as a resource to the military community. Please leave a comment if your Amex card coded the DECA Commissary as a “US Supermarket” and specify what base you were on. Also leave a comment if the commissary coded as “Goreries” on a Chase card. Thanks!
shopmyexchange.com also codes as a “global restaurant” and triggers 4x points on Amex Gold Card.
Commissary That Code as Groceries for Chase
- Andersen AFB Guam codes as Groceries
- Hickam Air Force Base Hawaii Commissary codes as “Groceries” for Chase
- Kunsan AB South Korea Commissary codes as groceries
- Ramstein Air Base Germany Commissary is “Groceries” for Chase
- Spangdahlem Air Base Germany
- RAF Lakenheath United Kingdom
- Aviano Air Base Italy
- Fort Belvoir, Virginia Commissary
- Commissary at Naval Base San Diego
- Hill AFB, Utah
- Learn how to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate after spending $4000 in the first 3 months of card membership
- 80,000 points = $1000 minimum value when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal
- New benefits include $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit
- 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards portal
- 3x points on dining (includes takeout, delivery, and dine-in)
- 2x points on all other travel purchases
- Points can also be redeemed with “Pay Yourself Back” for 1.25 cents each on eligible purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, great for overseas OCONUS assignments, TDY, and PCS
- Primary rental car insurance coverage & trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- Unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Must activate by 3/31/22.
- Earn 5x total points on Peloton Equipment and accessory purchases through 03/31/2022
- Upgrade to a Chase Sapphire Reserve after 1 year (compare Reserve vs Preferred)
- $95 annual fee waived for military and spouses with Chase Military Lending Act
- Learn how to apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve
- $550 annual fee waived to $0 for US military + spouses with Chase MLA policy
- Earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Reward Points after $4000 of spend in the first 3 months – $750 value when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- $300 annual travel credit
- 10x points on hotels and rental cars & 5x points on air travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards after the first $300 spent on travel annually
- 3x Points on other Travel (airfare, hotels) after earning the $300 travel credit
- 3x Dining restaurants, takeouts, delivery)
- Ultimate Reward Points redeemed through the Chase travel portal are worth 1.5 cents, a 50% bonus
- Priority Pass lounge and restaurant access with over 1300+ airport lounges worldwide
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry
- Primary car rental auto insurance and trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- No foreign transaction fees
- Learn more in the Chase Sapphire Reserve review
Commissary That Code as a U.S. Supermarket Category for Amex
These are commissaries that earn 4x points on the Amex Gold Card.
- Grafenwoehr Commissary in Germany is a US supermarket
- Joint Base San Antonio – Randolph Commissary
- Misawa Air Base Japan Commissary codes as a U.S. supermarket
- Andersen AFB Commissary Guam codes a US supermarket
- Kaneohe Bay Commissary on Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH) is a US supermarket
- Hickam Air Force Base (Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii) Commissary codes as a U.S. supermarket.
- Pearl Harbor Commissary Hawaii is a US Supermarket
- Osan Air Base Commissary South Korea is a US supermarket for Amex
- Kunsan Air Base South Korea Commissary is a US supermarket
- Ramstein Air Base Commissary codes a US supermarket for Amex Gold and Blue Cash Preferred
- Rota Commissary on Rota Naval Air Station, Spain is a US supermarket
- NEX Pearl Harbor is a US supermarket
- Anchorage Area Commissary Elemendorf AFB Alaska is a US supermarket
- Fort Gordon, Georgia commissary is a US supermarket
- Camp Pendleton Commissary is a US supermarket
- Iwankuni MCAS Japan Commissary and BX code as U.S. supermarkets
- MCRD Parris Island Commissary coded as 4x on AMEX Gold
- USAG Humphreys (Camp Humphreys) in Korea is a US Supermarket per Amex
- Yokota Air Base Commissary Japan codes codes as a US supermarket
- Kadena Air Base Commissary on Okinawa Japan is a US supermarket according to Amex
- Learn how to apply for the American Express® Gold Card
- $250 Annual Fee waived for US military and spouses
- Earn 60,000 Membership Reward Amex points after spending $4000 in the first 6 months of account opening
- Rose Gold is back! Choose between the Gold or Rose Gold version when you apply.
- 4x points on all restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the US
- 4x points on US supermarkets (up to $25,000 per year) – includes OCONUS Commissaries
- 3x points on flights booked directly with the airline or on amextravel.com
- No foreign transaction fees – great for the 4x on restaurants when travelling for fun, OCONUS TDY, or PCS!
- $120 annual Uber or Uber Eats cash. Earned as $10 per month.
- $120 per year credit at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House or Shake Shack (enrollment required)
- Read my full review of the Amex Gold card for military, terms apply
Commissaries That DO NOT Categorize as U.S. Supermarkets for Amex
- Incirlik Air Base Turkey Commissary is NOT a US supermarket for Amex
- Aviano Air Base Italy does not come up as US supermarket
- US Naval Support Activities (NSA) Naples, Italy Commissary does not work as a US supermarket
Any other data points out there? Looking for military Commissaries that get 4x points on US supermarkets like in the above Misawa example.
Commissary Credit Cards FAQ
If your commissary codes as a US supermarket than the best credit card to use is the Amex Gold card, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. The Amex Gold card gives you 4x points on US supermarkets and the Blue Cash Preferred is 6% cash back on US supermarkets. The Chase Freedom Unlimited is also good with 1.5% cash back or the Citi Double Cash card with 2% cash back.
It depends if you are shopping at the BX, NEX, PX, MCX, AAFES, or at the DECA Commissary. Usually a supermarket or grocies card at the Commissary and any card at the PX, BX, MCX, or NEX, since they usually doesn't earn bonus points categories.
Yes, the military Commissary system accepts Visa, Discover, Mastercard, and American Express. You can earn 4 Amex points per dollar spent at the Commissary with the Amex Gold card. Or 6% cash back with the Amex Blue Cash Preferred.
Yes, but there are much better credit cards for military servicemembers out there. You can earn 2 points per dollar spent at Commissaries with the Military Star Card. But you'll probably be better off with an Amex Gold card.
Usually the Commissary codes as a grocery store or groceries category on Chase and American Express cards. However, sometimes it is mis-categorized. Check my crowd-sourced list here for the latest data points from military families around the world.