Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The Citi® Double Cash Card is a no annual fee cash back credit card that earns 2% cash back on every purchase.
Citi® Double Cash Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn $200 cash back after spending $1,500 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening.
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
- Balance Transfer Only Offer: 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% – 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back. Intro APR does not apply to purchases.
- If you transfer a balance, interest will be charged on your purchases unless you pay your entire balance (including balance transfers) by the due date each month.
- There is an intro balance transfer fee of 3% of each transfer (minimum $5) completed within the first 4 months of account opening. After that, your fee will be 5% of each transfer (minimum $5).
Citi Double Cash Card Review
Earn Up to 2x ThankYou Points
The Citi Double Cash Card allows you to earn 1% cash back when you purchase anything and an additional 1% cash back when you pay for the purchase. If you pay your statement in full every month, this is 2% cash back on all eligible purchases.
Points are earned as Citi ThankYou Points. These flexible credit card points can be combined across Citi cards. If you have a Citi® Premier Card, then you can transfer points you earn on the Citi Double Cash Card to travel partners. That feature makes this card a flexible 2% cash back or 2% travel rewards card.
No Annual Fee
This card has no annual fee, which is a nice perk.
Citi Double Cash Welcome Bonus
The Citi Double Cash Card does not normally offer a welcome bonus. However, the ability to earn 2% cash back on everything and pay no annual fee makes this card an attractive offer.
For a limited time, the Citi Double Cash Card is offering $200 cash back after spending $1500 in the first 6 months of card opening.
3% Foreign Transaction Fee
The Double Cash Card has a 3% foreign transaction fee. You probably do not want to use this card overseas. You'll be much better off using a no foreign transaction fee travel rewards card like the Citi® Premier Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express, or the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card. All of these cards waive annual fees for military servicemembers and spouses.
Combine Citi Double Cash Card & Citi Premier Card
One of the best credit card combinations for earning flexible Citi ThankYou points is the Citi Double Cash Card and the Citi® Premier Card.
If you have the Citi Premier, you can transfer points you earn on the Citi Double Cash Card to Citi travel partners such as Emirates, Etihad, and Singapore Airlines.
Transferring points to transfer partners is the best way to redeem for international first and business class air travel.
The Citi Premier earns 3x points in some bonus categories like dining, gas, groceries, airfare, and hotels. Then you can use your Citi Double Cash Card to earn 2x points in all your other spending.
- Learn how to apply for the Citi® Premier® Card
- Earn 80,000 Citi ThankYou points after spending $4000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- 80,000 points are redeemable for $800 in gift cards at thankyou.com
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent at at restaurants and supermarkets
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on Gas Stations, Air Travel, and Hotels
- 1 point per $1 on everything else
- Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
- No foreign transaction fees
- $95 annual fee waived for military with Citi military policy
One of the only only other card with no annual fee that earn 2x points are The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express.
Citi Double Cash Card FAQ
The Citi Double Cash Card is not that hard to get. Usually a credit score of 700 or higher will qualify you for a Citi Double Cash card. If you make on time payments and have a credit history longer than 6 months you can probably get approved.
Yes, the Citi Double Cash is actually 2% cash back on all purchases. You can combine the Citi ThankYou Points with a Citi Premier card and get even more value out of your points.
Usually a credit score of 700 or higher will be sufficient to be approved for the Citi Double Cash Card.