Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
Both of these cards offer an annual credit for purchases. Hilton has a $250 resort credit for charges at Hilton Resorts. Marriott has a $300 in statement credits per calendar year (up to $25 per month) for eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide.
Both cards have an annual fee that is 100% waived for US military troops under Amex's SCRA policy.
How long do you have to wait to get these statement credits posted to your account?
How Long Does the Amex Hilton Aspire Resort Credit Take to Post?
About 3-4 weeks, based on the data point below. I paid $356.14 for dinner at a restaurant in a Hilton resort in Australia on Feb 1. On Feb 20, the Hilton Resort Credit of $250 posted to my account.
The Hilton Aspire card has a $250 “Hilton Resort Credit” for any charges at the Hilton properties listed here: http://www.hilton.com/resorts. Essentially anything you can charge to your room, i.e. room service, valet, laundry, room rate charges, spa services, restaurants, drinks, etc are reimbursable by the credit.
The credit kicks in as soon as you open a Amex Aspire card and renews every card anniversary.
Amex says it can take 8-12 weeks for the statement credit to post, but in this example it only took 19 days or just under 3 weeks.
Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases.Amex Aspire Benefit Terms
Using the Amex Hilton Aspire $250 Resort Credit Example
We celebrated my father-in-law's 60th birthday this year with a week on the Gold Coast of Australia. Located about an hour south of Brisbane, our week in Surfer's Paradise was full of koalas, kangaroos, swimming, and early morning walks on the beach to get delicious coffee and pastries.
We didn't stay at the Hilton Surfers Paradise hotel, but I noticed that it was listed on Hilton's Resort page. That means it is eligible for the $250 resort credit, even though it doesn't have resort in the name. I always check that page before trying to use my $250 Aspire credit.
Since I had just opened my Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card and it was the new year, my wife and I decided to take the family out to dinner at the well reviewed restaurant at the Hilton, “Catch.”
Normally I don't like eating at hotel restaurants if I have a choice, but if I was getting a $250 credit and it had good reviews, why not?
The seafood was great and the wine was tasty. The bill was not outrageous for 6 people, but getting $250 taken off the top made it much easier to manage!
- American Express Hilton Honors Aspire Card
- $450 annual fee waived for US military servicemembers and spouses
- Complimentary Diamond Status at all Hilton brands (suite upgrades, breakfast, check in gifts, etc)
- 150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points welcome offer after $4000 of purchases in the first 3 months
- 1 weekend night reward after opening your account and every year on renewal
- $250 Hilton Resort Credit
- $250 airline fee credit
- 14x Hilton Honors Bonus Points at Hilton properties
- No foreign transaction fees
- Full review of Amex Aspire card, terms apply
How Long Does the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Restaurant Credit Take to Post?
About 2-3 business days, based on the data point below.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card – learn how to apply
- Earn 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy® bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 3 months.
- Each Card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits per calendar year (up to $25 per month) for eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide.
- A Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite member will earn 50% more points on eligible purchases at participating hotels for each U.S. dollar or the currency equivalent that is incurred and paid for by the member.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy® points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy(TM) program. 3 points at Worldwide Restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Marriott Brilliant Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Each calendar year after spending $60,000 on eligible purchases, Card Members are eligible to select an Earned Choice Award benefit. Benefit options include: Five (5) Suite Night Awards, 85K Free Night Award, and mattress and box spring $750 discount from Marriott Bonvoy Boutiques.
- $100 Luxury Property Credit: Enjoy your stay. Receive up to a $100 property credit for qualifying charges at The Ritz-Carlton® or St. Regis® when you book direct using a special rate for a two-night minimum stay using your Card.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®: Receive either a statement credit every 4 years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or a statement credit every 4.5 years after you apply for a five-year membership through any Authorized Enrollment Provider for TSA PreCheck® (up to $85) when you pay the application fee with an eligible Card. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Each calendar year you can receive 25 Elite Night Credits toward the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status. Limitations apply per Marriott Bonvoy member account. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.
- Enroll in Priority Pass Select, which offers unlimited access to over 1,200 lounges in over 130 countries, regardless of which carrier or class you are flying.
- This allows you to relax before or between flights. You can enjoy snacks, drinks, and internet access in a quiet, comfortable location.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass(TM) Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Cell phone protection: You can be reimbursed for your costs to repair or replace your damaged or stolen cell phone up to $800, subject to a $50 deductible, for 2 approved claims per 12-month period when your prior month's wireless bill was paid utilizing an Eligible Card Account. Terms and conditions apply. Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.
- $650 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
The $25 per month worldwide restaurant statement credit starts as soon as you open a Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and renews on the 1st of every month.
Amex says it can take 8-12 weeks for the statement credit to post, but in this example it only took 2 days.
Staying at the Ritz Carlton Geneva
My wife and I recently stayed at the wonderful Ritz Carlton Geneva, Hotel de la Paix Geneve. The most basic, classic room cost 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. The cash value of the room at booking was 700 Swiss Francs, or about $700 USD.
Thanks to Platinum Elite status, we were upgraded to a room overlooking Lake Geneve. This room would have added another $100-150 to our rate, so our 60,000 points were even more valuable.
We were able to get 1.4 cents per Bonvoy point with this booking. See how to earn tons of points and redeem them at excellent rates in my 100% free, 5 day Ultimate Military Credit Cards Course.
We had dinner at the excellent Living Room Bar & Kitchen, just off the Lobby of the Hotel de la Paix. We charged our drinks and the awesome lamb risotto for 2 (cooked in a cheese bowl) to the room and paid at check out with my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card.
We also charged the valet parking charge to our room as well. The total bill was $134.50.
From the chocolates offered at check in, to the free Swiss chocolate and Swiss wine tasting in the lobby, to the excellent and friendly staff, we had a perfect time at the Geneva Ritz Carlton.
Using Bonvoy points for the room and the $25 Bonvoy Brilliant credit to offset the cost of dinner was just the icing on an already delicious cake.
The $25 Marriott Bonvoy Restaurant Credit sometimes posts within 2-3 days. The Hilton Aspire credit may take a bit longer and posts within 3-4 weeks. Remember to pay your credit card bills on time, set up autopay, and never carry debt on your credit cards.
If you end up with a credit on your account, you can spend it, move it to another card, or request a refund check.
Whether you go TDY for work often, travel for pleasure, or don't even travel that much, these cards are still necessary in your card portfolio. The recurring annual benefits, the huge welcome bonuses, and the waived annual fees for military and spouses make these cards extremely valuable.