Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express for military waives the annual fee, has a modern look and offers 3% to 6% cash-back rewards categories.
This Amex cash back card waives the annual fee for military troops or their spouses. (Terms Apply)
- Learn how to apply for the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- $95 annual fee, but waived for military + spouses
- Earn a $350 statement credit after spending $3,000 in the first 6 months with your new card
- 6% cash back on US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year (then 1%), including most OCONUS Commissaries
- 6% cash back on select US streaming services, including Apple Music, Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Prime Video (full list here)
- 3% cash back on transit like taxis, Uber, Lyft, parking, tolls, trains, buses, etc
- 3% cash back on US gas stations (including OCONUS NEX or AAFES)
- 1% back on other eligible purchases, terms apply
This is my #1 recommended cash rewards card for military personnel and their spouses. The annual fee of $95 is waived for military families with Amex's SCRA and MLA policy, which is the same policy that waives annual fees on The Platinum Card® from American Express (review).
Cash back is given as “Reward Dollars” that can be redeemed for statement credit, gift cards, or merchandise.
I prefer statement credits, usually at the end of the year around Christmas time. I will save the cash back for the entire year and then use it to offset the increased expenses of the holidays.
I will definitely add this card as my default payment method for my Spotify, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video account.
Blue Cash Preferred 6 Percent Groceries
If you spend $500 per month on groceries, you could earn $360 per year in cash back (6% of $6000 spend). If you are only getting 1% cash back with a different card, then that same $500/month spend would mean only $60 in cash back.
Some examples of US supermarkets where you can get 6% cash back are:
- Stop and Shop
- Whole Foods
- Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect
Military Commissaries on base are also eligible for the 6% cash back. This works both in the States and on bases outside the States such as Ramstein, Kadena, or Kunsan. Here's the full list of Commissaries that code as grocery stores on credit cards.
Note that superstores such as Amazon, Target, and Walmart and warehouse clubs such as BJ's, Costco, and Sam's Club DO NOT count as supermarkets according to Amex. Shopping at these locations does not earn 6% cash back.
Blue Cash Preferred 6 Percent Streaming Services
6% cash back on streaming services including:
- Amazon Music
- Apple Music
- CBS All Access
- Direct TV Now
- Fubo TV
- HBO Now
- Kindle Unlimited
- NBA League Pass
- Amazon Prime Video Unlimited
- Sling TV
- SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite,
- YouTube Music Premium
- YouTube Premium
- YouTube TV
Check here for the latest “Select U.S. Streaming Subscriptions” that count towards the 6% cash back.
Amex Blue Cash Preferred MLA
This is an excellent “forever card” that you should add to your wallet. I've moved it to the top of my top recommended cash back cards for US military personnel and spouses.
The Blue Cash Preferred makes an excellent supplement to your core Amex travel card portfolio which should include the Amex Platinum, American Express® Gold Card, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card.
This card gives you 6% cash back on your most basic life purchases of online streaming and groceries. It doesn't have any rotating categories to track or sign up for. As a bonus, the annual fee is waived for military servicemembers.
Currently the Amex Blue Cash Preferred is offering one of the highest bonuses ever seen for this card.
Amex Blue Cash Preferred FAQ
Yes, the Blue Cash Preferred annual fee of $95 is waived for military servicemembers and their spouses. This is to comply with the Military Lending Act (MLA) law.
Yes, this is a great cash back card that every military servicemember should have in their wallet. The welcome bonus is definitely worth earning with the minimum spend required.
Military Commissaries count as supermarkets for Blue Cash Preferred. Also Safeway, Gristedes, Foodtown, Meijer, Shoprite, Stop and Shop, Vons, Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie, and online supermarkets such as FreshDirect.
Yes, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred has a credit limit. Usually it's treated as a credit card with a fixed credit limit, sometimes as high as $10,000 or more.
Yes, the Amex Blue Preferred is free for active duty military and their spouses.
Amex Platinum Card With NO Annual Fees for Military
Military servicemembers and spouses can get The Platinum Card® from American Express with NO annual fees. This ultra premium luxury travel card normally has a $695 annual fee.
Learn how to apply for the Amex Platinum military fee waiver.
The Amex Platinum offers:
- $695 Annual Fee WAIVED for US Military (and spouses)!
- Earn 100,000 Membership Reward Points with $6000 spend in 6 month
- Earn up to $200 annual Hotel Credit: Get $200 statement credit on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or the Hotel Collection, which requires a two-night minimum stay, booked on Amex Travel and paid for with your Platinum Card
- Earn up to $200 credit for Uber rides (or Uber Eats!) annually
- Earn up to $200 airline fee credit
- Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- Earn up to $100 annual Saks Fifth Avenue credit, can be used for gift cards, enrollment required
- No foreign transaction fees, terms apply
- Earn 5x points on airfare booked directly with airline or on amextravel.com up to $500,000 per calendar year
- Transfer to 22 travel partners
These benefits, especially up to $600 of credits for hotels, airlines, and Uber, plus the massive 100,000 point welcome bonus, make the Amex Platinum card my TOP recommended card.
This is the largest welcome bonus on this card I've seen in years.
You have a leisurely 6 months to meet the $6000 minimum spend to earn the 100,000 points. That's only $1000 per month.
If you already have an Amex Platinum card, check out the American Express® Gold Card, fee waived Chase military credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and this month's top recommended credit card bonuses, all with no annual fees for US military personnel and their spouses.
Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.