Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express for military and military spouses offers 3% to 6% cash-back rewards categories.
Learn more details about how American Express protects you and your military spouse.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95* See more details about American Express protections for you and your spouse
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- 6% cash back on US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year (then 1%), including most OCONUS Commissaries
- 6% cash back on select US streaming services, including Apple Music, Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Prime Video (full list here)
- 3% cash back on transit like taxis, Uber, Lyft, parking, tolls, trains, buses, etc
- 3% cash back on US gas stations (including OCONUS NEX or AAFES)
- 1% back on other eligible purchases
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit
- Get up to $120 in statement credits annually when you pay for an Equinox+ membership at equinoxplus.com with your Blue Cash Preferred(R) Card. That's $10 in statement credits each month. Enrollment required.
- Thinking about getting The Disney Bundle which includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+? Your decision made easy with $7/month back in the form of a statement credit after you spend $12.99 or more each month on an eligible subscription with your Blue Cash Preferred Card. Enrollment required.
- Terms Apply
Cash back is given as “Reward Dollars” that can be redeemed for statement credit, gift cards, or merchandise.
I prefer statement credits, usually at the end of the year around Christmas time. I will save the cash back for the entire year and then use it to offset the increased expenses of the holidays.
I will definitely add this card as my default payment method for my Spotify, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video account.
In this post:
Blue Cash Preferred 6 Percent Groceries
If you spend $500 per month on groceries, you could earn $360 per year in cash back (6% of $6,000 spend). If you are only getting 1% cash back with a different card, then that same $500/month spend would mean only $60 in cash back.
Some examples of US supermarkets where you can get 6% cash back are:
- Stop and Shop
- Whole Foods
- Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect
Military Commissaries on base are also eligible for the 6% cash back. This works both in the States and on bases outside the States such as Ramstein, Kadena, or Kunsan. Here's the full list of Commissaries that code as grocery stores on credit cards.
Note that superstores such as Amazon, Target, and Walmart and warehouse clubs such as BJ's, Costco, and Sam's Club DO NOT count as supermarkets according to Amex. Shopping at these locations does not earn 6% cash back.
Blue Cash Preferred 6 Percent Streaming Services
6% cash back on streaming services including:
- Amazon Music
- Apple Music
- CBS All Access
- Direct TV Now
- Fubo TV
- HBO Now
- Kindle Unlimited
- NBA League Pass
- Amazon Prime Video Unlimited
- Sling TV
- SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite,
- YouTube Music Premium
- YouTube Premium
- YouTube TV
Check here for the latest “Select U.S. Streaming Subscriptions” that count towards the 6% cash back.
Amex Blue Cash Preferred MLA
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is an excellent “forever card” that you should add to your military wallet.
I've moved it to the top of my top recommended cash back cards for US military personnel and military spouses.
The Blue Cash Preferred makes an excellent supplement to your core Amex travel card portfolio which should include the The Platinum Card® from American Express, American Express® Gold Card, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card.
This card gives you 6% cash back on your most basic life purchases of online streaming and groceries. It doesn't have any rotating categories to track or sign up for. As a bonus, the annual fee is waived for military servicemembers.
Currently the Amex Blue Cash Preferred is offering one of the highest welcome bonus offers ever seen for this card.
Amex Blue Cash Preferred FAQ
Yes, this is a great cash back card that every military servicemember should have in their wallet. The welcome bonus offer is definitely worth earning with the minimum spend required.
Military Commissaries count as supermarkets for Blue Cash Preferred. Also Safeway, Gristedes, Foodtown, Meijer, Shoprite, Stop and Shop, Vons, Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie, and online supermarkets such as FreshDirect.
Yes, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred has a credit limit. Usually it's treated as a credit card with a fixed credit limit, sometimes as high as $10,000 or more.