I will show you how to get your 1st $550 annual fee waived in my Ultimate Military Credit Cards course
The Amex Gold card is annual fee waived for military. It's even better than the Amex Platinum for everyday spending on dining and groceries.
Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
The American Express Green Card military benefits include the $150 annual fee waived for active duty military servicemembers and their spouses.
AMEX offers this amazing military discount to comply with the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (read more on the Amex SCRA policy).
Amex Green Card for US Military
- American Express Green Card
- $150 Annual fee (AMEX waives all annual fees for military)
- Earn 45,000 Membership Reward points after $2000 spend in the first 6 months of Card Membership (valued at over $900)
- 3x points on travel including flights, hotels, transit, rental cars, taxis, and ridesharing services like Lyft and Uber
- 3x points on restaurants worldwide
- $100 per year statement credit to pay for CLEAR airport security expedited screening
- $100 per year statement credit for LoungeBuddy purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
New Amex Green Card Review
The October 2019 updated Amex Green card is a much more valuable card than the previous version. The new AMEX Green Card offers much better bonus spending categories, an increased welcome bonus, and great annual perks.
New AMEX Green Bonus Spending Categories
The new AMEX Green spending bonus categories fit neatly underneath the AMEX Gold and Platinum spending categories.
With the revamped AMEX Green Card, you can earn 3 AMEX Membership Reward points per $1 spent on all travel categories. This includes:
- Flights (even through third party travel sites like Expedia and Google Flights)
- Hotels (even through booking.com and Orbitz)
- Transit like subway and busses
- Rideshare and taxis like Lyft, Uber, and NYC Yellow Cab
- Rental cars, including booking third party
Amex Green Card Refreshed Welcome Bonus
Until 15 January 2020, the Green Card is welcome bonus is 30,000 Membership Reward (MR) points with $2000 spend in the first 3 months of opening your account.
This is one of the highest bonuses I have seen offered for this card in recent years. AMEX MR points can be cashed out through the Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum card at 1.25 cents per point. At that rate, 30,000 points would be worth $375 cash.
Usually though, you can get at least 2 cents per point when transferring to AMEX airline partners. That would drive the bonus value up to $600.
I recently got 11 cents per point when transferring AMEX points to All Nippon Airways (ANA) to fly first class from Hawaii to Toyko. That would make the 30,000 point welcome bonus worth over $3000!
This is a rare redemption, but shows how you can get extravagant value from your flexible credit card points. Learn how to maximize your SCRA and MLA military credit card benefits in my 100% free, 5 day Ultimate Military Travel Hacking course.
New Green Card Annual Fee Increase
Due to the increased value of the card, AMEX is increasing the annual membership fee on this card to $150. However, as a military servicemember you can still get this card, and all AMEX cards, with no annual fee.
Amex Green Card Revamp and Update
The Amex Green card update now makes this card an excellent compliment to the Amex Gold and Amex Platinum.
With these 3 cards (Green, Gold, and Platinum) you have the AMEX trifecta and can earn extra AMEX Membership Reward points in multiple categories.
- 5x points on airfare booked directly with airline (AMEX Platinum)
- 4x points on groceries (AMEX Gold)
- 4x points on restaurants (AMEX Gold)
- 3x points on all other travel expenses like hotels, Lyft, Uber, rental cars, public transport, travel websites (AMEX Green)
Because the Green Card is a credit card, it does count against your 5 AMEX credit card limit.
You can have unlimited AMEX charge cards, like the Platinum, but AMEX restricts it's members to 5 credit cards. Some military servicemembers have over 10 AMEX Platinum cards.
Is the AMEX Green Card a Good Credit Card?
Yes, the new AMEX Green Card is a great credit card if you travel or dine out for work or pleasure.
Overall, I now highly recommend the revamped AMEX Green card. The welcome bonus increased, the award categories nicely compliment other premium AMEX luxury travel cards, and the annual fee is waived for US military.
How to Get AMEX Green Card SCRA Military Benefits Applied
Follow my easy 3 step process to request SCRA benefits to be applied to your account. Go to your americanexpress.com account and login. Then…
- Click “Account Services”
- “Card Management” section
- Scroll down to find “Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) Benefits” or just click here to request the benefits directly. It will bring you to a page like this:
Is the AMEX Green Card a Credit Card or a Charge Card?
The October 2019 revamped American Express Green Card is changing from a charge card to a credit card. This is important because AMEX only allows you to have 5 credit cards at a time with them.
Here is the statement from AMEX on their new Green card:
Green from Amex is a credit card on which Card Members have no preset spending limit and can pay in full or carry a balance with interest on eligible charges, up to the Pay Over Time limit. The amount the Card Member spends above their Pay Over Time limit is included in full in their minimum due each month.AMEX Green Card Credit Card Statement
Do you have the AMEX Trifecta (Platinum, Gold, and Green) yet? If you are in the military, you really should! Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for supporting my veteran owned site through my referral links!