Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.
If you want to upgrade American Express cards to higher tier cards online, you can create separate Amex logins to make it easier and faster.
Creating additional Amex logins allows you to easily upgrade lower tier cards to higher tier cards. For instance you can upgrade the American Express® Gold Card to The Platinum Card® from American Express. Or compare the Amex Gold vs the Amex Platinum.
American Express® Gold Card
Learn how to apply on our partner's secure site
- Earn 60,000 Membership Reward® Points after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card in the first 6 months of Card Membership
- Earn 4x points at restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the US
- Earn 4x points on US supermarkets (up to $25,000 per year, then 1x points) – includes OCONUS Commissaries
- Earn 3x points on flights booked directly with the airline or on amextravel.com
- No foreign transaction fees – great for the 4x on restaurants when travelling for fun, OCONUS TDY, or PCS!
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Amex Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 annually.
- $120 per year Dining Credit: Earn up to $10 per month in statement credits when you use your Amex Gold at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar, and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
- Choose between the Gold or Rose Gold version when you apply.
- Read my full review of the Amex Gold card for military, terms apply
- $250 Annual Fee* See more details about American Express protections for you and your spouse
If you are in the military or married to a military servicemember, you get annual fees waived on all personal, not business, Amex cards.
This allows you to accumulate multiple cards that have recurring annual benefits, like free hotel nights or restaurant credits, without paying annual fees on any of the cards.
Amex Cards You Can Upgrade
You can usually upgrade any lower tier card in the same “family” to a higher tier card. Sometimes there is a welcome bonus offer for the upgrade. If you already have the higher tier card, you may not be eligible for this offer. Check the offer for “lifetime language.”
I recommend you always open the highest tier card first to earn the welcome bonus, then open the lower tier cards and earn the welcome bonuses on them. After 1 year, you can upgrade the lower tier cards to the higher tier card.
|Upgradeable Amex Cards||Low Tier –>||Middle Tier –>||Higher Tier|
|Amex Hilton Honors||Hilton Honors American Express Card||Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card||Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card|
|Amex Metal Cards||American Express® Green Card||American Express® Gold Card||The Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Delta||Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card||Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card||Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card|
How to Easily Upgrade Amex Cards
To easily upgrade Amex cards, you just need a separate Amex login username, for instance if “john1” is your primary, make a new account with the username “john2.” You can use the same email and password for both accounts, Amex does not care.
- Go to your john1 account, find the card you want to remove (AMEX Hilton Surpass)
- Go to Account Services, then Card Management
- Remove Card from online management. Select the card you wish to remove.
- Log out of john1
- Login or create a new account, for instance “john2” on AmericanExpress.com,
- Then just add the card you just removed to john2. You should be able to upgrade within a few hours or instantly.
Look for the upgrade option under the “card” link at the top of AmericanExpress.com. The Amex “Request an Upgrade” button should look like this:
You can then add the new upgraded Amex card back to your main john1 account. Remove it from john2 just like you did for john1.
You need to hold Amex cards for about 1 year before they are eligible for upgrade. This is due to the CARD ACT, a law that does not allow banks to charge you a higher annual fee than what you signed up for in the first year of card membership.
Sometimes Amex offers upgrade offers like “upgrade your Surpass to Aspire and spend $5000 to earn 150k points.” You should be eligible for this upgrade offer even if you already got a welcome bonus on the Aspire.
I use the same email for all accounts with no issues.
Amex Card Upgrades FAQ
Yes, you can upgrade from one Amex card to another. However, it has to be in the same “family” of cards. A Hilton Surpass can upgrade to a Hilton Aspire, a Delta Platinum to a Delta Reserve, and an Amex Gold to an Amex Platinum.
If you are in the military, you should definitely upgrade an Amex Gold to another Amex Platinum. Then just apply for another Amex Gold card. You will not be eligible for the welcome bonus
Yup! You can upgrade from the Amex Green card to the Amex Gold card. However I recommend upgrading from the Amex Green to the Amex Platinum. If you are in the military, you can then open another Amex Green so you still have all the benefits of Amex Green card membership.
Yes, you can upgrade from the Amex Gold to the Amex Platinum. The Amex Gold is a great card though, so make sure you open another one if you upgrade to another Amex Platinum card.
Yes, American Express cards can be upgraded to the higher tier version. So for instance an Amex Green card be upgraded to The Platinum Card from American Express.